Follow the procedure below to complete a Pre-Authorization once the final amount is known.
Note: A Completion must be performed on the same terminal using the same card number. The card does not need to be present.
To process a Pre-Authorization Completion:
1. On the applications menu, select DEBIT & CREDIT.
The message "Activating App..." appears followed by the transactions menu.
2. On the transactions menu, select Pre Auth.
3. On the Pre Auth menu, select Completion.
If the "Password:" prompt appears, key in the manager password and press the green key. The "Seq Number:" prompt appears.
4. Key in the 6-digit Sequence Number printed on the Pre-Authorization transaction’s receipt and press the green key (see Finding Sequence and Orig Auth Numbers).
● If the message "No Record Found" appears, repeat step 2.
The terminal displays the following information about the Pre-Authorization:
5. Compare the displayed information to the Pre-Authorization's receipt. If the information matches, select Yes to proceed. To cancel the Completion, select No.
Note: If the displayed Pre-Authorization is not the one you want, select Next to display the next Pre-Authorization in the terminal memory. Repeat until the transaction you want is displayed.
● If prompted for a clerk ID ("Clerk Id:"), see Entering the Clerk ID.
● If prompted for an Invoice Number ("Invoice Id:"), see Entering an Invoice Number.
The Pre-Authorization Completion amount is displayed and the "New Amt:" prompt appears.
6. Do one of the following:
● To change the Pre-Authorization amount, key in the new amount and press the green key. OR
● To continue the transaction with the original amount, press the green key.
● To release the funds, key in an amount of $0.00 and press the green key.
Note: If Tip Processing is enabled and the cardholder has entered a tip amount on the Pre-Authorization receipt's Tip line and you want the Tip amount printed on a separate line on the Completion's receipt, press the green key to key in the amount at the Tip prompt, as shown below.
The "Amount OK?" prompt appears.
7. If the amount is correct, select Yes. Proceed to step 8.
If the amount is incorrect, select No.
The "Amount Error" prompt displays and Merchant and Cardholder cancellation receipts print. The terminal returns to the Pre Auth menu. Repeat steps 3 - 7 as necessary.
8. Follow the remaining prompts on the terminal.
● If prompted for Tip Entry, see Entering a Tip Amount. If you chose to print the Tip amount on a separate line (step 4) above, key in this amount at the Tip prompt.
9. Process receipts (see Personalized Receipts and Signing Credit Card Receipts).
Note: If processing the Pre-Authorization Completion on a Private Label Card, you may be prompted for a Promo Code.
For details on basic prompts, see Responding to Basic Transaction Prompts.